Remember the days of your mechanic telling you to change your oil every 3,000 miles( ca. 3,009 km) to keep up with vehicle maintenance? Those days are long over!
Today’s vehicles are running for much longer between oil changes.
With synthetic oil going into more cars, it’s common to not have to change your oil more than 1 time every 10,000 miles, which is over 3x LONGER than ever before.
Oil quality is just the basics, but here are some easy vehicle maintenance and driving tips from the Protect My Car team to keep your vehicle running well and out of the repair shop.
Paying for a new set of tires doesn’t have to cost you as much as your rent. You can buy them online at wholesale prices from websites like TireRack.com, which ships directly to your house, so you can choose where to bring them to get them mounted and balanced.
Then getting your tires rotated every 7,500 – 10,000 miles and driving your vehicle right will allow your new set of tires to last up to 50,000 miles.
Drive too fast and too furious, and the brakes will go quickly. When they do go, which they will, they’ll screech as you pull up to every stop light or sign. Solve that problem by investing in some new brake pads every now and then. In many cases, that’s all you’ll need, if you do, rather than replacing the whole outfit, which could be a $600 repair job.
Read Your Owner’s Manual
You may not find it to be the most interesting book to read, but you’ll find the vehicle maintenance schedule. Not only will you find the vehicle maintenance schedule, but you will find useful tips for troubleshooting problems, like leaky coolant. You will know when to bring the vehicle to the dealer for each preventative vehicle maintenance routine.
This is key to keeping your vehicle maintenance up to date to save you hundreds of thousands of dollars in preventable repairs.
If you follow the book, you can go a long way in preserving your car and keeping it running for hundreds and thousands of miles and many years.
Saving a little gas money isn’t the only reason to keep an eye on the check engine light. It’s useful to have that stuff checked because your car might be operating in a mode that’s not optimum.
If the light goes on then off, don’t worry. If it stays on, better take it in for service.
Before you immediately rush to the mechanic, check your gas cap, tighten it and give it 24 hours to see if it will stay off.
This is one of the most common reasons for a car’s engine lights to be on. If not, bring it to the repair center for a diagnostics test to ensure you are not causing additional damage.
More Easy Ways To Keep Your Car Running Well In 2022
If you liked those car maintenance tips… then here are 10 MORE easy and common sense ways to keep your vehicle running well.
1. Get your vehicle serviced at the manufacturer’s recommended intervals. A well-maintained vehicle runs better and lasts longer.
2. Keep your tires inflated to the correct pressure. Underinflated tires increase fuel consumption and can lead to premature tire wear.
3. Make sure your oil is changed at the manufacturer’s recommended intervals. Dirty oil can cause engine wear and decreased fuel economy.
4. Use the correct grade of motor oil for your vehicle. Using a heavier-weight oil in a vehicle that calls for a lighter weight will result in decreased fuel economy.
5. Keep your engine clean by changing the air filter at the manufacturer’s recommended intervals. A dirty air filter can decrease fuel economy and engine performance.
6. Drive wisely. Aggressive driving (hard acceleration, braking, and cornering) decreases fuel economy.
7. Remove unnecessary weight from your vehicle. Extra weight reduces fuel efficiency.
8. Use the correct octane rating of gasoline for your vehicle. Using a lower octane rating than recommended can decrease fuel economy and engine performance.
9. Plan your trips carefully. Driving to destinations that are close by saves gas.
10. Keep your vehicle in good mechanical condition by having it serviced regularly. A well-tuned vehicle uses less fuel.
So there you have it, a plethora of easy and convenient ways to keep your vehicle running well all year round.
Start implementing these tips into your regular vehicle maintenance and keep your vehicle running well to save you money on repair costs.